Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page
Guide to The Records of the American and Foreign Christian Union
||Records of the American and Foreign Christian Union
||The American and Foreign Christian Union (AFCU) was founded in 1849 as an interdenominational
organization with the purpose of converting Roman Catholics to evangelical Protestantism.
Headquartered in New York City, the AFCU was founded by the union of the American
Protestant Society (1844-1849), the Christian Alliance (1842-1849), and the Foreign
Evangelical Society (1839-1849). The AFCU employed domestic missionaries; supported
individual missionary efforts and kindred societies in Europe, Canada, and South America;
published a monthly journal, The Christian World (1850-1884). In 1884 the AFCU discontinued
its active missionary work but continued to support the American Church in Paris.
||7.5 linear feet
||This collection is located in off-site storage. Please contact the repository to access