Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New York University Archives logo

Guide to the Records of the New York University College of Dentistry RG 25

Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY, 10012
(212) 998-2641
university-archives@nyu.edu


New York University Archives

Collection processed by Jennie Johanson. Finding Aid updated by Archives staff in 2007. Additional processing by Nathasha Alvarez.

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on June 06, 2014
Description is in English.

History of the New York University College of Dentistry

The New York College of Dentistry was established in 1865 in a small rental space on Twenty-Second Street and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. The mission of the College was to promote altruism in dentistry while providing first-rate education. Upon its inception, the school had thirty-one students and ten faculty members. Only nine of the original thirty-one students graduated in the first graduating class.

When the New York College of Dentistry merged with New York University in 1925, it became known as the New York University College of Dentistry. The merger led to the creation of a dental school at the forefront of research and postdoctoral education.

Today, the College of Dentistry has approximately 1,600 students from across the world. About fifty percent of the student body is female, and fifty percent are minority students. The greater aim of the College is to improve the health of underserved populations, and more generally, to improve health worldwide. The College of Dentistry is also home to the John and Bertha E. Waldmann Memorial Library, which holds more than 38,000 bound volumes and subscribes to 442 professional journals.

The New York University College of Dentistry offers D.D.S., B.S. and A.A.S. degrees. It is now the third oldest and the largest private dental school in the United States.