See all finding aids in this repository

Table of Contents

Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Navy Yard oral history collection ARC.003

Brooklyn Historical Society
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Amy Lau, Mary Mann, Aliki Caloyeras, and Margaret Fraser

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on  , September 3, 2020
Finding aid written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Historical Note

The origins of the Brooklyn Navy Yard (officially known as the New York Naval Shipyard) date back to 1801, when the United States Navy acquired what had previously been a small, privately owned shipyard in order to construct naval vessels. By the time the Department of Defense ceased shipbuilding activities at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1966, eighty-eight vessels had been manufactured at the facility. In 1967, the Brooklyn Navy Yard was acquired by the City of New York and was converted for private commercial use.

The oral history interviews in the collection come from two different collecting efforts one from 1986 to 1989 and another from 2006 to 2010. The interviews dating from 1986 to 1989 were the result of an effort to collect oral histories of Brooklyn residents associated with the Brooklyn Navy Yard and people who lived or worked in Brooklyn prior to the Shellens Gallery of Brooklyn History installation. The effort from 2006 to 2010 was part of the Brooklyn Navy Yard oral history project, a grant funded partnership between Brooklyn Historical Society and the Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation. The goal of the project was to capture the voices of the people who worked at the Yard during World War II and document the evolution of women joining the labor force during the War.