Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Louise Hasbrook Brooklyn Navy YMCA collection ARC.042

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 01, 2011
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

 
Creator - Compiler: Hasbrook, Louise
Title: Louise Hasbrook Brooklyn Navy YMCA collection
Dates [inclusive]: 1925-1986
Abstract: The Brooklyn Navy YMCA, founded in 1899 and located at 167 Sands Street near the Brooklyn Navy Yard, was the first permanent branch of the Navy YMCA. It closed its doors in 1964, having served an estimated 47 million military personnel. Louise Hasbrook worked as a secretary at the Brooklyn Navy YMCA beginning in 1934. In 1959, she was promoted to the position of administrative assistant and secretary to the Executive. The Louise Hasbrook Brooklyn Navy YMCA collection spans the period 1925 to 1986 and contains various items compiled by Hasbrook during her time as a secretary and administrative assistant at the Brooklyn Navy YMCA. The materials document the activities of the Brooklyn Navy YMCA from 1925 until its closing in 1964; there is also a small number of items pertaining to Louise Hasbrook's subsequent employment outside the Brooklyn Navy YMCA and her personal interests. Items include reports, newspaper clippings, programs, newsletters, correspondence, photographs, certificates, and various ephemera.
Quantity: 0.19 Linear feet in eight folders and one oversize box.
Text [Oversize]: Box OS-20
Mixed materials [Box]: A0130
Call Phrase: ARC.042
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.