Harry Kalmus was born in 1924 and grew up on Vermont Street in the Brooklyn neighborhood of East New York. He attended Yeshiva Toras Chaim and Thomas Jefferson High School. After serving in World War II, Kalmus returned to Brooklyn and began his career as a professional photographer. He worked for advertising agencies and corporate offices in Manhattan as well as photographing events such as weddings and bar mitzvahs in Brooklyn. In 1957, he and his family moved to the Queens neighborhood of Kew Gardens, and eventually settled in Freeport, N.Y. Kalmus died in 1987.