Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Meserole family papers ARC.063

Brooklyn Historical Society
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Patricia Glowinski

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on February 05, 2020
eng using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

Creator - com: Meserole, Adrian
Creator: Meserole family
Creator - com: Morrell, Francis Vandervoort
Title: Meserole family papers
Dates [inclusive]: circa 1717 to 1915
Abstract: The Meserole family was one of the original five families who settled in the areas that are now the Greenpoint and Williamsburg neighborhoods of Brooklyn. Jean Miserol (d.1695), a French Huguenot, came to New Amsterdam, now New York City, in 1663. Originally from Picardy (now Picardie), France, Jean left France for Holland where he married Jonica Carten. With their young son Jan, Jean and Jonica immigrated to New Amsterdam and arrived on April 16, 1663. In 1667, Jean bought a farm in New Utrecht, now the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bay Ridge. He then bought another farm, Kyckout ("the Lookout"), that ran along the East River. Today, this farm would be located in Williamsburg between North 1st Street and Broadway. Jean lived at this farm until his death in 1695. The Meserole family papers spans the period circa 1717 to 1915 and measure 2.1 linear feet. The collection includes a handwritten volume containing the Meserole family genealogy; a bill of sale for a sloop from Anson Benton to Abraham Meserole, 1816; and an oversized parchment documenting a legal decision regarding a land dispute over the Miserole family farm, Kyckout ("the Lookout"), in the Town of Bushwick (now the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn), circa 1717.
Quantity: 2.1 Linear Feet in two folders and one oversized folder.
Text [Oversize]: Folder
Text [Box]: A0128
Call Phrase: ARC.063
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.