Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce publications ARC.165

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Weatherly Stephan

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on September 29, 2014
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Historical note

The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1918 to provide support, advocacy, and promotion to businesses in the borough of Brooklyn. The Chamber accomplished these goals by organizing events such as the 1922 Manufacturers Industrial Show, an exposition highlighting Brooklyn-based manufacturers for citizens of the borough and New York City. By 1937, the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce was the second largest organization of its kind in the country. Throughout the mid-20th century, the Chamber advocated for such projects as redevelopment of the Brooklyn Navy Yard (officially known as the New York Naval Shipyard), revitalizing the Red Hook waterfront, and the Fulton Street Mall. Originally located on Court Street, the Chamber's office is now on Elm Place in Downtown Brooklyn.

Sources

  1. Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. "The Brooklyn Chamber and the Business Evolution of a Borough." Accessed December 28, 2010. http://www.ibrooklyn.com/site/aboutchamber/chamberhistory