Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims and Henry Ward Beecher collection, 1819-1980 ARC.212

Brooklyn Historical Society
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by C. Dierdre Phelps (1984). Revised by Teresa Mora and Mae Pan, Project Archivists, with edits by Dr. Marilyn H. Pettit, Project Consultant (1999)

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on August 01, 2019
Finding aid written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Revised by Maggie Schreiner to incorporate additional materials. Revised by Lena Evers-Hillstrom to reflect additional materials found in the repository  , September 2018 , Ocotber 2018

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Beecher, Henry Ward
Creator: King, Horatio C. (Horatio Collins)
Creator: Ellinwood, T. J. (Truman Jeremiah)
Creator: Plymouth Church (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
Creator: Church of the Pilgrims (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
Creator: Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
Title: Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims and Henry Ward Beecher collection
Dates [inclusive]: 1819-1980
Dates [bulk]: 1847-1887
Abstract: The Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims and Henry Ward Beecher collection traces the career of the Reverend Henry Ward Beecher, the well known 19th century preacher, and the history of Plymouth Congregational Church, of which Beecher was the first pastor. Plymouth Church was a major institution in 19th century Brooklyn, first gaining recognition on national and international levels as Beecher's pulpit. Beecher was well known for his oratorical ability and for his vocal opposition to slavery and support of the Northern cause during the Civil War. He also spoke out on subjects ranging from women's suffrage and evolution to organized labor and temperance. Beecher was a popular figure despite controversy that surrounded his activities, including a charge of adultery that resulted in a widely reported trial in 1875. The collection relates principally to Beecher's pastorate at Plymouth Church from 1847 until his death in 1887. Other materials, ranging through 1980, concern the church's other pastors and the history of Plymouth Church itself, which consolidated with the Church of the Pilgrims in 1934. The papers provide insight into the church congregation's various activities, illustrate the history of Beecher's influence on his congregation and on 19th century congregationalism, and shed light on both the public and private life of a major American personality of the 19th century.
Quantity: 48.5 Cubic Feet in 75 boxes: 32 manuscript boxes, 38 flat boxes, and 6 small boxes
Language: Materials are in English.
Call Phrase: ARC.212
Sponsor: Inital arrangement and description sponsored by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. Additional description developed in 2010 with grant funds from the U.S. Department of Education Underground Railroad Educational and Cultural (URR) Program.