Guide to the New York State National Guard, 23rd Infantry Regiment records ARC.216
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
Brooklyn Historical Society
Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
on November 28, 2011
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard
|Creator:||New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 106th.|
|Creator:||New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 23rd. Company A. Veteran Association.|
|Creator:||New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 23rd.|
|Title:||New York State National Guard, 23rd Infantry Regiment records|
|Quantity:||0.32 Linear feet in four folders and one oversize scrapbook.|
|Text [Oversize]:||Scrapbook 1978.120|
|Sponsor:||This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.|
The Brooklyn-based 23rd Infantry Regiment of the New York State National Guard (NYSNG) was formed on January 20th, 1862, when its first company, Company A, was mustered into State service. Nine more companies were organized by July of that year. The Regiment was mustered into United States service for the Civil War on June 16, 1863, and participated in engagements at Oyster Point and Carlisle, PA before being mustered out on July 22, 1863. The Regiment was later renamed the NYSNG 106th Infantry Regiment for service in World War I, for which it shipped to Europe in May of 1918 and participated in the Ypres-Lys and Somme Offensives, which were both successful in removing or breaking German defensive lines. The Regiment later went on to supply officers and soldiers throughout the world during World War II.
- New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center. "23rd Regiment, New York State Militia, New York National Guard, Civil War." Accessed June 3, 2011. http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/23rdInfNYSM/23rdnfNYSMMain.htm
- New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center. "106th Infantry Regiment, World War One." Accessed June 3, 2011. http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/106thInf/106thInfMain.htm
Scope and Contents note
This collection includes materials dating from 1863 to 1957 documenting the peacetime activities of the NGSNY 23rd (later 106th) Infantry Regiment, as well as the Regiment's service in the Civil War and World War I. Items include muster rolls and member lists, dinner and event programs and invitations, regimental histories, news clippings, photographs, and issues of the Regiment's journals, The Guardsman and Vigilantia. Also included are two scrapbooks of decorations, notes and correspondence, photographs, clippings, and ephemera. One scrapbook commemorates a rifle match between the NGSNY 23rd Regiment and the 13th Regiment of the Pennsylvania National Guard at Gettysburg in 1893, while the other relates to the 23rd Regiment's visit to Gettysburg in 1904. The latter scrapbook is oversized and is housed separately from the rest of the collection. Finally, the collection contains a small number of items documenting the Veteran Association of the 23rd Regiment's Company A, including a dinner and meeting announcement and a single volume containing the Association's constitution, amendments, and membership lists with autograph signatures and addresses for each member.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Journals (periodicals)
- Membership lists
- Muster rolls
- Programs (documents)
- New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 106th.
- New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 23rd. Company A. Veteran Association.
- New York (State). National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 23rd.
- Soldiers -- New York (State) -- Kings County
- Veterans -- New York (State) -- Kings County
- Veterans -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x Societies, etc.
- World War, 1914-1918
- Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
- New York (State) |x History |y Civil War, 1861-1865 |x Regimental histories
- United States |x History |y Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States |x History |y Civil War, 1861-1865 |x Veterans
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to users without restriction.
Identification of item, date (if known); New York State National Guard, 23rd Infantry Regiment records, ARC.216, Box and Folder number; Brooklyn Historical Society.
Separated Materials note
Certificates from this collection were removed to 1977.307, Brooklyn certificate collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Accession 1973.201 was the gift of Henry M. Nicholson, date unknown. Accessions 1977.194 and V1998.047 were the gift of Henry M. Nicholson, 1941 and 1957. Accession 1978.120 was the gift of Abner S. Rosenberg, 1974.
Processing Information note
Minimally processed to the collection level.
The collection combines the accessions 1973.201, 1977.194, 1978.120, and V1998.047.