Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Armstrong Association and Brooklyn Hampton Association Records 1981.001

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Larry Weimer

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 13, 2011 using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

 
Creator: Brooklyn Armstrong Association.
Creator: Brooklyn Hampton Association (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
Title: Brooklyn Armstrong Association and Brooklyn Hampton Association records
Dates [inclusive]: 1906-1943
Abstract: The Brooklyn Armstrong Association was formed in 1906, renamed the Brooklyn Hampton Association in 1920, and disbanded in 1943. The Association was formed principally as a vehicle for Brooklynites to support the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute and to engage with matters of African-American "uplift." The collection includes material from throughout the life of the organization, including: a scrapbook of clippings about events and meetings, solicitations, meeting invitations, announcements, reports, membership lists, Hampton Institute publications, and the like; some annual reports; minute books for the Executive Committee and Annual meetings; and correspondence, mostly from 1943 concerning the final days of the organization.
Quantity: 0.33 Linear feet in five folders
Language of Materials: Materials are in English.
Text [Box]: 1 (A0096)
Container: 5 folders
Call Phrase: 1981.001

Return to Top »


Biographical/Historical note

The Brooklyn Armstrong Association was formed in 1906, at least in part to accommodate Brooklyn residents who were members of the Armstrong Association of New York. The Association's aim was "to stimulate public interest in the work and influence of the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute and generally in the uplifting of the Negro and Indian races." The organization held public lectures and collected contributions for the Hampton Institute. In late 1920, the organization changed its name to the Hampton Association of Brooklyn (more commonly referred to as the Brooklyn Hampton Association). The organization disbanded in 1943.

Return to Top »


Scope and Contents

The collection includes material from throughout the life of the Brooklyn Armstrong (1906-1920) and Hampton (1920-1943) Associations. A scrapbook (1906-1939) includes clippings about events and meetings (notably a visit to Brooklyn by Booker T. Washington and Secretary of War Taft), solicitations, meeting invitations, announcements, reports, membership lists, Hampton Institute publications, and the like. There are some annual reports in the collection. There are minute books (1906-1943) for the Executive Committee and Annual meetings. There is a small amount of correspondence, principally from 1943, concerning the final days of the organization.

Arrangement note

The material is in five folders, arranged by type of material.

Return to Top »


Access Points

Document Type

  • Annual reports
  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Correspondence
  • Minutes
  • Scrapbooks

Subject Organizations

  • Brooklyn Armstrong Association.
  • Brooklyn Hampton Association (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
  • Hampton Institute.
  • Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (Va.).

Subject Topics

  • African Americans -- Education -- History
  • Charitable giving
  • Charity organi-ation -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Race relations -- United States

Subject Places

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use note

Most of the material is in the public domain.

Preferred Citation

Identification of item, date (if known); Brooklyn Armstrong Association and Brooklyn Hampton Institute records, 1981.001, Box and Folder number; Brooklyn Historical Society.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

References on the material indicate that at least some of the collection was owned by Alfred T. White and was likely donated by him to the Long Island Historical Society (now Brooklyn Historical Society).

Processing Information note

The collection was processed in December 2011 by Larry Weimer.

Return to Top »


Return to Top »