Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection 1985.055

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 15, 2014
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Additional processing by John Zarrillo 2014

Descriptive Summary

 
Creator: Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute.
Creator: Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. Alumni Association.
Creator: Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn.
Creator: Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School. Alumni Association.
Creator: Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School.
Creator: Polytechnic Preparatory School (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
Title: Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection
Dates [inclusive]: 1854-1981
Abstract: The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1854 as Brooklyn's first all-boys school. In 1890, the Institute's collegiate and preparatory programs were separated into two different schools, the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn and the Brooklyn Preparatory School (later the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School). The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection spans the period 1854 to 1981 and contains annual reports, catalogs, yearbooks, journals, periodicals, and printed ephemera documenting the activities of the original Institute as well as its two outgrowth institutions.
Quantity: 6.09 linear feet in four record cartons and five manuscript boxes.
Text [Box]: 1985.055 7 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 6 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 4 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 3 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 9 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 2 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 1 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 5 of 9
Text [Box]: 1985.055 8 of 9
Call Phrase: 1985.055
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.

Return to Top »


Historical Note

The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1854 and was the first all-boys school in Brooklyn. Located at 99 Livingston Street in the neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights, the Institute offered both preparatory and college level programs designed to be comparable to the most distinguished boarding schools of the day. By 1890, the Institute's Board of Trustees had decided to separate the Institute's preparatory and collegiate programs into two different schools, and in 1891 a new facility was constructed next to the Institute's original building to house the college, which took on the name of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. The preparatory program, which became the Polytechnic Preparatory School, remained at 99 Livingston Street.

Over time, the two schools took on increasingly distinctive and separate identities. The Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn became a renowned college of engineering, and by the mid-20th century had become a coeducational institution. Throughout the late 20th and early 21st centuries, the Institute underwent several name changes, the first occuring in 1973 with the adoption of the name of the Polytechnic Institute of New York. A little over a decade later, the Institute became known simply as Polytechnic University. This name endured until 2008, when the Institute became affiliated with New York University and became the Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU). As of 2010, the Institute continues its affiliation with NYU and is located at Six Metrotech Center in Downtown Brooklyn, where it offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in several science disciplines, with a focus on engineering.

The Polytechnic Preparatory School relocated in 1916 to a 25-acre plot of land in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Dyker Heights, where it became incorporated as the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School, commonly known as Poly Prep. At its Dyker Heights location, Poly Prep grew into one of Brooklyn's esteemed private schools, and in the 1970s became a coeducational institution. In the 1990s, the School acquired property in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Park Slope, which it converted into the Poly Prep Lower School, a center of primary education. As of 2010, the School continues to offer private educational programs spanning early childhood through the twelfth grade at its Dyker Heights and Park Slope locations.

Sources:

  1. Poly Prep Country Day School. "History." Accessed November 23, 2010. http://www.polyprep.org/podium/default.aspx?t=112862
  2. Polytechnic Institute of New York University. "Rich History." Accessed November 23, 2010. http://www.poly.edu/about/past-present-future/history

Return to Top »


Scope and Contents

The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection is housed in four record cartons and five manuscript boxes and contains annual reports, catalogs, yearbooks, journals, periodicals, and printed ephemera. These items document the Institute from near to the time of its founding well through the period when its collegiate and preparatory programs were separated and developed into the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn and the Polytechnic Prepartatory Country Day School. Because the materials amply represent the original Institute as well as its succeeding institutions, the collection has been arranged into the following three series:

  1. Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, 1855-1889
  2. Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, 1890-1977
  3. Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School, circa 1900-1981

Return to Top »


Access Points

Document Type

  • Alumni directories
  • Annual reports
  • Brochures
  • Catalogs
  • Newsletters
  • Pamphlets
  • Photographs
  • Printed ephemera
  • Programs (documents)
  • Publications
  • Registers (lists)
  • School yearbooks
  • Volumes (documents by form)

Subject Organizations

  • Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute.
  • Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. Alumni Association.
  • Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn.
  • Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School. Alumni Association.
  • Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School.
  • Polytechnic Preparatory School (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).

Subject Topics

  • College students -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Education -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Engineering schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Preparatory school students -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Preparatory schools -x Alumni and alumnae -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Preparatory schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Preparatory schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x Administration
  • Preparatory schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x Faculty
  • Preparatory schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x History
  • Single-sex schools -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Universities and colleges -x Alumni and alumnae -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Kings County
  • Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x Administration
  • Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x Faculty
  • Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Kings County -x History

Subject Places

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brooklyn Heights (New York, N.Y.)
  • Dyker Heights (New York, N.Y.)

Subject Uniform Title(s)

  • Counterweight (Journal)
  • Golana (Journal)
  • Poly alumni review and perspectives
  • Poly men (Newsletter)
  • Poly Prep (Magazine)
  • Poly Prep alumni review
  • Polyglot (Yearbook)
  • Polygon (Newspaper)
  • Polytechnic (Newsletter)
  • Polytechnic alumni reporter
  • Polytechnic cable (Newspaper)
  • Polytechnic engineer (Journal)
  • Polytechnic reporter
  • Polywog (Yearbook)

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use note

Copyright restrictions may apply. Yearbooks and publications dating prior to 1923 are in the public domain. Copyright status of later publications should be determined on a case by case basis. Please consult library staff for more information.

Preferred Citation

Identification of item, date (if known); Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection, 1985.055, Box and Folder number; Brooklyn Historical Society.

Related Materials

Additional yearbooks from Brooklyn-based schools can be found in the Othmer Library's yearbook collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Portions of this collection were the gifts of the Board of Trustees of the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, 1893; Cornell University, 2011; Mr. and Mrs. Schuyler Bergen, date unknown; and William Jerome Cosgrove, date unknown. Sources and dates of acquisition for the remaining items in the collection are unknown. The collection was formally accessioned in 1985.

Processing Information note

Minimally processed to the series level.

An 1854 stock certificate, gift of Cornell University, was added to the collection in 2014.

Return to Top »


Container List

Series 1: Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, 1854-1889. 1.17 linear feet in one record carton and one manuscript box.

Scope and Contents

This series comprises the majority of Box 1 and contains materials dating from 1854, the year the Institute was founded, to 1889, shortly before the Institute's collegiate and preparatory programs were split into two separate schools. Items include the Institute's second annual report, containing summary administrative and financial information; annual catalogs, complete with lists of students and faculty; issues of the Institute's monthly newsletter, The Polytechnic; copies of the Institute's yearbook,  The Polywog; an 1854 stock certificate, and one commencement program from 1888. The series also includes a large bound volume commemorating the Institute's 25th anniversary in 1880. The volume contains an historical sketch of the Institute, as well as listings and photographic portraits of the Institute's trustees and faculty. As the volume is extremely fragile, it has been separated from the rest of the materials in this series and is housed by itself in Box 9.

Series 2: Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, 1890-1977. 2.5 linear feet in four record cartons.

Scope and Contents

This series is housed in Boxes 1 through 4 and contains materials pertaining to the administration, curriculum, students and faculty, and general activities of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. Materials date from 1890, when the Institute was first formed as the exclusively collegiate outgrowth of the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, to 1977, shortly after the Institute underwent its first name change to the Polytechnic Institute of New York. Materials include annual reports, annual catalogs and registers, yearbooks, periodicals, journals, printed ephemera, and alumni materials.

Annual reports contain summary administrative and financial information, and span the periods 1908 to 1914, 1930 to 1931, and 1960 to 1966. Annual catalogs and registers date from 1889 to 1957 and contain details on the Institute's programs and curriculum, as well as lists of students and faculty. Copies of the Institute's yearbook, carrying on the title of The Polywog, date from 1890, 1901, 1908, and 1916. Issues of the Institute's weekly newsletter,  The Polytechnic Reporter, date from 1920, 1961 to 1963, and 1977.

Journals are comprised of research publications from 1940 to 1941, and copies of the Institute's yearly academic journal, The Polytechnic Engineer, from 1911 to 1915. These journals contain research papers and studies conducted by the Institute's students. Also included are issues of  Counterweight, the Institute's journal of art and literature, for the period 1961 to 1969; and issues of  Golana, the journal of the Institute's Science Fiction Club, for the period 1963 to 1969.

Ephemeral items consist of invitations and programs from the 1905 installation of Fred W. Atkinson as President of the Institute; a 1955 commemorative booklet containing the proceedings of the Institute's centennial convocation; and historical sketches, prospectuses, pamphlets, and brochures containing general information on the Institute and spanning the period circa 1890 to 1965.

Alumni materials consist of several publications, including the constitution of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn Alumni Association, dated 1908; two issues of the weekly newsletter, The Polytechnic Alumni Reporter, from April of 1916; alumni rosters from 1916 and 1931; issues of the periodical  Poly Men from 1925 to 1951; a program from the Institute's Alumni Day in 1957; a summary report of donations to the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn for the year 1966; a news bulletin from 1967; and issues of the newspaper  The Polytechnic Cable, 1975 to 1977.

Series 3: Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School, circa 1900-1981. 2.42 linear feet in one record carton and four manuscript boxes.

Scope and Contents

This series is housed in Boxes 4 through 8 and documents the development of the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School (commonly called Poly Prep) from circa 1900, shortly after the School was established as the Polytechnic Preparatory School, to 1981, well after the School had changed its name and relocated to its campus in Dyker Heights. Items include annual catalogs and registers, informational pamphlets and prospectuses, yearbooks, periodicals, printed ephemera, and alumni materials.

Catalogs and registers date from the period 1902 to 1928, as well as the year 1966, and contain summary information on the School's curriculum and lists of students and faculty. Pamphlets and prospectuses date from circa 1900 to 1916 and contain historical sketches of the School as well as general information on the School's courses and programs. Copies of the School's yearbook, titled The Polyglot, are included for the periods 1900 to 1916 and 1936 to 1946, while issues of the School's weekly newspaper,  The Polygon, are included for the years 1936, 1946 to 1949, and 1959 to 1981.

Ephemeral items consist of a 1902 program for a theatrical performance put on by the Poly Prep Dramatic Association, a scrapbook containing various newspaper clippings and printed material dating from 1904 to 1906, a 1905 program for the Interscholastic Indoor Games, a program for the School's centennial dinner in 1954, a 1961 program for a Poly Prep football game, and a 1974 parents' newsletter.

Alumni materials include two alumni directories from 1943 and 1949; a report on annual giving for the year 1957; and issues of the Alumni Association's quarterly newsletter, the Poly Prep Alumni Review (later the  Poly Alumni Review and Perspectives), from the years 1962 and 1972 to 1979. There is also one issue of the Alumni Association's magazine,  Poly Prep, from the winter of 1981.

Return to Top »