Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection 1985.055

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 15, 2014
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Additional processing by John Zarrillo 2014

Container List

Series 2: Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, 1890-1977. 2.5 linear feet in four record cartons.

Scope and Contents

This series is housed in Boxes 1 through 4 and contains materials pertaining to the administration, curriculum, students and faculty, and general activities of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. Materials date from 1890, when the Institute was first formed as the exclusively collegiate outgrowth of the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, to 1977, shortly after the Institute underwent its first name change to the Polytechnic Institute of New York. Materials include annual reports, annual catalogs and registers, yearbooks, periodicals, journals, printed ephemera, and alumni materials.

Annual reports contain summary administrative and financial information, and span the periods 1908 to 1914, 1930 to 1931, and 1960 to 1966. Annual catalogs and registers date from 1889 to 1957 and contain details on the Institute's programs and curriculum, as well as lists of students and faculty. Copies of the Institute's yearbook, carrying on the title of The Polywog, date from 1890, 1901, 1908, and 1916. Issues of the Institute's weekly newsletter,  The Polytechnic Reporter, date from 1920, 1961 to 1963, and 1977.

Journals are comprised of research publications from 1940 to 1941, and copies of the Institute's yearly academic journal, The Polytechnic Engineer, from 1911 to 1915. These journals contain research papers and studies conducted by the Institute's students. Also included are issues of  Counterweight, the Institute's journal of art and literature, for the period 1961 to 1969; and issues of  Golana, the journal of the Institute's Science Fiction Club, for the period 1963 to 1969.

Ephemeral items consist of invitations and programs from the 1905 installation of Fred W. Atkinson as President of the Institute; a 1955 commemorative booklet containing the proceedings of the Institute's centennial convocation; and historical sketches, prospectuses, pamphlets, and brochures containing general information on the Institute and spanning the period circa 1890 to 1965.

Alumni materials consist of several publications, including the constitution of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn Alumni Association, dated 1908; two issues of the weekly newsletter, The Polytechnic Alumni Reporter, from April of 1916; alumni rosters from 1916 and 1931; issues of the periodical  Poly Men from 1925 to 1951; a program from the Institute's Alumni Day in 1957; a summary report of donations to the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn for the year 1966; a news bulletin from 1967; and issues of the newspaper  The Polytechnic Cable, 1975 to 1977.