Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection 1985.055

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 15, 2014
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Additional processing by John Zarrillo 2014

Container List

Series 3: Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School, circa 1900-1981. 2.42 linear feet in one record carton and four manuscript boxes.

Scope and Contents

This series is housed in Boxes 4 through 8 and documents the development of the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School (commonly called Poly Prep) from circa 1900, shortly after the School was established as the Polytechnic Preparatory School, to 1981, well after the School had changed its name and relocated to its campus in Dyker Heights. Items include annual catalogs and registers, informational pamphlets and prospectuses, yearbooks, periodicals, printed ephemera, and alumni materials.

Catalogs and registers date from the period 1902 to 1928, as well as the year 1966, and contain summary information on the School's curriculum and lists of students and faculty. Pamphlets and prospectuses date from circa 1900 to 1916 and contain historical sketches of the School as well as general information on the School's courses and programs. Copies of the School's yearbook, titled The Polyglot, are included for the periods 1900 to 1916 and 1936 to 1946, while issues of the School's weekly newspaper,  The Polygon, are included for the years 1936, 1946 to 1949, and 1959 to 1981.

Ephemeral items consist of a 1902 program for a theatrical performance put on by the Poly Prep Dramatic Association, a scrapbook containing various newspaper clippings and printed material dating from 1904 to 1906, a 1905 program for the Interscholastic Indoor Games, a program for the School's centennial dinner in 1954, a 1961 program for a Poly Prep football game, and a 1974 parents' newsletter.

Alumni materials include two alumni directories from 1943 and 1949; a report on annual giving for the year 1957; and issues of the Alumni Association's quarterly newsletter, the Poly Prep Alumni Review (later the  Poly Alumni Review and Perspectives), from the years 1962 and 1972 to 1979. There is also one issue of the Alumni Association's magazine,  Poly Prep, from the winter of 1981.