Brooklyn Historical Society logo

American Red Cross, Brooklyn Chapter collection 1985.091

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Matthew Gorham

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on November 21, 2011
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

 
Creator: American Red Cross.
Creator: Brooklyn Bureau of Charities.
Title: American Red Cross, Brooklyn Chapter records
Dates [inclusive]: 1918-1958
Dates [bulk]: Bulk, 1940-1948
Quantity: 0.2 Linear feet in one manuscript box
Language of Materials: Materials in English.
Text [Box]: 1985.091 1 of 1
Call Phrase: 1985.091
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.

Return to Top »


Biographical/Historical note

On December 2, 1905, Mrs. Tunis G. Bergen brought together a group of Brooklyn residents at the Barnard Club House on Remsen Street to form New York City's first borough-based Red Cross organization. With an initial membership roster of 300, the Brooklyn Chapter of the American Red Cross embarked on its first major campaign to aid victims of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, collecting over $100,000 and thousands of articles of clothing to contribute to the relief effort. From this point on, the Brooklyn Chapter continued to provide disaster relief on both a local and national level in the form of relief funds, emergency first aid, first aid materials, and access to social services. As of 2010, the American Red Cross, Brooklyn Chapter is located at 200 Schermerhorn Street in Downtown Brooklyn.

Return to Top »


Scope and Contents

The American Red Cross, Brooklyn Chapter collection consists of annual reports and newsletters spanning the years 1918 to 1958, with a gap during the years 1920 to 1937. The bulk of materials fall within the years 1940 to 1948 and document the Chapter's contribution to the war effort during World War II, as well as its activities during the immediate postwar period. The newsletters in the collection are comprised of copies of the Chapter's own monthly publication, The Chapter Bulletin, as well as copies of The Open Door, the monthly newsletter of the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities, with which the Chapter worked closely.

Return to Top »


Access Points

Subject Topics

  • Charities -- New York (State) -- New York
  • Disaster relief -- New York (State) -- New York
  • World War, 1939-1945

Subject Places

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • Downtown Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Preferred Citation

Identification of item, date (if known); American Red Cross, Brooklyn Chapter, 1985.091, Box and Folder number; Brooklyn Historical Society.

Processing Information note

Minimally processed to the collection level.

Return to Top »


Return to Top »