Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Church Charity Foundation of Long Island publications 1985.113

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on November 21, 2011
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Historical Note

The Church Charity Foundation of Long Island was founded in 1851 and was a charitable organization collectively supported by Episcopal churches in Brooklyn. In its first few years of existence, the Foundation operated from two houses on Carlton Avenue, which served as shelters for orphans and the elderly. In 1856, the Foundation purchased 25 lots at Albany Avenue and Herkimer Street in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bedford-Stuyvesant, on which its first building was opened in 1860 as the Home for Aged and Orphans. In the ensuing decades, the Foundation expanded its services to include a medical center called St. John's Hospital, a school for nurses, and a home for the blind, which were housed at various locations to accommodate growing numbers of people in need. By the 1930s, the majority of the Foundation's services were housed at its property on Albany Avenue and Herkimer Street, which had grown into a complex of shelters and medical facilities. The exception was the Foundation's orphanage, which had moved to Sayville, Long Island in 1926 and became known as the Children's Cottages. The Foundation's complex at Albany and Herkimer Streets later became the Interfaith Medical Center, which continues to operate at the site as of 2010.

Sources:

  1. Church Charity Foundation of Long Island. The Church Charity Foundation of Long Island: Eightieth Annual Report, Covering the Year 1931. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Church Charity Foundation of Long Island, 1931.