Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Eckford Social Club Scrapbook 1991.049

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Stephen Weinstein

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on November 21, 2011
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Historical Note

The Eckford Social Club was founded as the Eckford Baseball Club in 1855 by a group of shipwrights and dock laborers employed at Eckford and Webb’s shipyard, located on the New York side of the East River between Houston and Tenth Streets. The Williamsburg members of the team found a playing field in Brooklyn’s 15th Ward and in 1860 moved to the Union Grounds, later the site of the 47th Regiment Armory. The club’s first president, Frank Pidgeon, was a dockbuilder and a leading pitcher of his day. The baseball club evolved into a social club, which was chartered in 1865 in Williamsburg and relocated to 95 Broadway, near the East River, in 1888.

Famous members of the club have included Al Reach, a nineteenth-century sporting goods manufacturer, and John L. Smith, president of Charles Pfizer, Inc. and minority owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1945 to 1950. During the twentieth century, the club’s members included many Irish-American businessmen, doctors, lawyers, and other professionals.