Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Brooklyn Bridge photographs V1986.249

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Patricia Glowinski

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on November 28, 2011
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

 
Title: Brooklyn Bridge photographs
Dates: circa 1890 to 1930
Quantity: 0.03 Linear feet seven items housed in one folder.
Graphic materials [Box]: Prints by Accession 61
Call Phrase: V1986.249
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.

Return to Top »


Historical note

The Brooklyn Bridge is a steel suspension bridge that spans the East River connecting the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York City. Completed in 1883, the bridge was called both the East River Bridge and the New York and Brooklyn Bridge until 1915 when the name was officially changed to the Brooklyn Bridge. The bridge was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964 and was further designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1972. The original designer of the bridge was John Augustus Roebling (1806-1869), a German engineer who immigrated to the United States in 1831. Roebling invented the wire cable which he would eventually incorporate into the design of the Brooklyn Bridge. Roebling's son, Washington Augustus Roebling (1837-1926), also an engineer, took over as chief engineer of construction following the sudden death of his father in 1869. In 1872, Washington Roebling fell ill with decompression sickness, acquired during the construction of the bridge, and never fully recovered. His wife, Emily Warren Roebling (1843-1903), was instrumental in seeing through the construction and completion of the bridge.

Sources:

  1. Fletcher, Ellen. "Washington Augustus Roebling." In The Encyclopedia of New York City, edited by Kenneth T. Jackson, 1017. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press; New York: New-York Historical Society, 1995.
  2. Fletcher, Ellen. "John Augustus Roebling." In The Encyclopedia of New York City, edited by Kenneth T. Jackson, 1017. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press; New York: New-York Historical Society, 1995.

Return to Top »


Scope and Contents

The Brooklyn Bridge photographs are comprised of seven items dating from circa 1890 to 1930 and include two stereographs, four photographic prints, and one cabinet card of various views of the Brooklyn Bridge. All of the images are black-and-white and several of the prints are mounted. The photographers are unknown except for the cabinet card which was produced by Newsboy.

Return to Top »


Access Points

Document Type

  • Black-and-white prints (photographs)
  • Cabinet photographs
  • Photographs
  • Stereographs

Subject Places

  • Brooklyn Bridge (New York, N.Y.) |v Pictorial works

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

Reproduction rights for the photographs have not been evaluated. For information on securing rights to publish or reproduce, please see the Brooklyn Historical Society Reproduction Rights Policy.

Preferred Citation

Identification of item, date (if known); Brooklyn Bridge photographs, V1986.249, Box number, Object ID number; Brooklyn Historical Society.

Related Materials

Brooklyn Historical Society holds numerous collections relating to the Brooklyn Bridge. Please consult library staff for more information.

Other Finding Aids

Item level description and digital versions of images from the collection are available for searching via the image database in the library. Please consult library staff for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source and date of acquisition for this collection are unknown. The collection was formally accessioned in 1986.

Processing Information note

Fully processed to the item level.

Return to Top »


Return to Top »