See all finding aids in this repository

Table of Contents

Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Architect & Engineer Collection
circa 1790-1989
  PR 3

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Susan Benz

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on September 09, 2021
The finding aid is written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Online finding aid revised and updated 2020

Administrative Information

Provenance

The collection came from over 60 sources. The bulk of the collection was the result of donations.

Access Restrictions

Open to qualified researchers, by appointment only.

Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to 20 photocopies per day per person. Suitability of the original for photocopying is at the discretion of the staff. Neither blueprints nor tracings can be copied under any circumstances. Duplication of large-format items will be done by the house photographer. See Print Room guidelines for details.

Use Restrictions

Permission to reproduce any Print Room holdings through publication must be obtained from

Rights and Reproductions
The New-York Historical Society
Two West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024

Phone: (212) 873-3400 ext. 282
Fax: (212) 579-8794

Preferred Citation

This collection should be cited as Architect & Engineer File, PR 3, Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections, New-York Historical Society Library.

Related Material

Works of Alexander Davis, Cass Gilbert, John McComb, Calvin Pollard, Emery Roth, Emery Roth & Sons, McKim, Mead & White, George B. Post, James W. Martens, William Delano, and John B. Snook are distinct collections. For William Strickland watercolors, see the N-YHS museum collection (American Landscape and Genre Paintings in the New York Historical Society). For John Haviland's drawings of the Doctor Wilson's Church, Washington Square Philadelphia, see the McComb sketch book on plans for altering steeple of the Brick Presbyterian Church in New York, part of the N-YHS Manuscript Department. Naval architecture blueprints of Hudson River steamboats are in the Subject File. Architect's papers and some sketches are also in the Manuscript Department. Building renderings are also in the Department of Paintings, Sculpture, and Decorative Arts. Drawings related to N-YHS's buildings can be found in the New-York Historical Society archives.

Separated Material

In 2002, Photographs taken by Arthur Jennings and of buildings designed by Raymond Hood were removed from this collection and now constitute PR 135, the Arthur Bates Jennings Photograph Collection, and PR 148, the Raymond Hood Collection. Also in 2002, over 100 residential elevations, floor plans, and ornamental detail sketches made ca. 1850 by Brooklyn architect James W. Martens were removed to their own collection, PR 113, the James W. Martens Architectural Records Collection. In 2004, student drawings by William Delano and photographs of buildings by his firm were removed from this collection and now form PR 244, the William Adams Delano Collection. Several drawings by the firm of Delano & Aldrich for Battery Park remain in PR 003.

Drawings by Carstensen & Gildemeister, Mettam & Burke, Isaac F. Wood, and York & Sawyer of New-York Historical Society buildings can be found in the New-York Historical Society Archives (NYHS-RG 3).

Accruals Note

Additional materials that are received from time to time that are consistent with the broad characteristics of this collection will be added to the Architects and Engineers Collection.