Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

© 2011 New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Society of Iconophiles Print Collection
1895-1929
 PR 160

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


© 2011 New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Jenny Gotwals

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on January 05, 2012
Description is in English.

Historical Note

The Society of Iconophiles was formed in 1894 by William Loring Andrews (1837-1920), a member of the Grolier Club. Its stated purpose was to issue series of engraved views of New York City and portraits of prominent persons connected with New York City. Each series of engravings was issued in an edition of 101. Eleven of these were proofs before letter, which were signed by the engraver. The plates were destroyed after this first printing. The Society initially limited itself to ten members, each of whom was to receive one of these signed proofs. The other 90 prints were sold to the public. In 1905, the Society of Iconophiles enlarged its circle by creating fifty Associate Members, who subscribed to the upcoming print series. The initial group of ten became known as the Active Members. During its tenure, the Society produced seventeen discrete series of prints, other assorted prints, and several volumes. The Society of Iconophiles ceased to exist in 1939.