Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

@ 2011 New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Gouverneur Morris, Jr. Papers
1835-1879 (bulk 1850-1860)
 MS 427

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


@ 2011 New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Processed by Maurita Baldock

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on November 01, 2011
Description is in English.

Container List

Series V: Flushing Railroad, 1853-1859

Scope and Contents note

The Flushing Railroad was incorporated on February 24, 1852 and opened on June 28, 1854. It ran the twelve mile distance between Hunter's Point (Long Island City) and Flushing, Queens. Gouverneur Morris, Jr. and J.W. Allen were contractors, under the name Morris & Allen, for building sections of the railroad line. The Flushing Railroad faced competition when the Long Island Railroad built a branch from Jamaica to Hunter's Point. The Flushing Railroad was foreclosed on in 1859 and became known as the New York and Flushing Railroad.

The correspondence in this series includes specifications for the construction of passenger railroad cars and a dispute with the railroad over the financial obligations of Morris & Allen. The accounts, bills, and receipts pertain to Morris's stock in the company and often refer to the estimates of work completed in this series.

Source:

Andersen, Bob. The Flushing and New York and Flushing Rail Roads. Long Island Rail Road History Website (Unofficial). 22 July 2002.
http://www.lirrhistory.com/Flushing.html.

Container 1 Container 2   Title Date
Box: 3 Folder : 18 Correspondence
1853-1859
Box: 3 Folder : 19 Measurements of Railroad Tracks
1858
Box: 3 Folder : 20 Estimates of Work Completed
1853-1854
Box: 3 Folder : 21 Accounts, Bills, & Receipts
1853-1856

Return to Top »