Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

© 2011 New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Cooper, Hewitt & Co. Letterpress Copybooks
1848-1905
 MS 1130

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


© 2011 New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Larry Weimer and Alison Barr

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on March 12, 2018 using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Open to qualified researchers. The volumes are stored offsite so researchers need to request them one week in advance of their intended visit.

Use Restrictions

Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to twenty exposures of stable, unbound material per day. (Researchers may not accrue unused copy amounts from previous days.)

Preferred Citation Note

This collection should be cited as Cooper, Hewitt & Co. letterpress copybooks, MS 1130, The New-York Historical Society.

Related Archival Materials Note

Along with these copybooks, the donor, Norvin Green, provided N-YHS with other of Abram Hewitt's copybooks related to his mayoral and congressional years. At some point, these were cataloged separately, perhaps with other related material:
Diary and letterpress copybooks (1843, 1876, 1887-1888 (bulk 1887-1888)
Call phrase: BV Hewitt, Abram S.

New-York Historical Society holds much other material concerning Cooper & Hewitt, Abram Hewitt, and to a lesser extent Edward Cooper, including:
Cooper, Hewitt & Company bills, receipts, letters (1842-1921, bulk 1842-1890)
Call phrase: AHMC - Cooper, Hewitt & Company

Abram S. Hewitt collection, 1844-1901, undated
Call phrase: AHMC - Hewitt, Abram

Beyond N-YHS, the Library of Congress holds a major collection (233 linear feet) of Cooper, Hewitt & Co records:
Cooper, Hewitt & Company (Ringwood, N.J.) records, 1833-1908 (ID MSS16816)

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The collection was a gift from the estate of Erskine Hewitt, via Norvin H. Green. 277 of the books were acquired on 22 November 1938 and the remaining fourteen on 29 December 1939.

Processing Information Note

The collection was cataloged with a summary description in 2000. In 2018, volunteer Alison Barr inventoried all the volumes and archivist Larry Weimer expanded somewhat on the catalog description to prepare a finding aid to enhance discovery and facilitate requests from offsite storage. Given the fragility of the volumes, conservator Alan Balicki shrink wrapped them.