Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the James Hazen Hyde Papers
1874-1940, 1953
 MS 319

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Larry Weimer, with Alec Ferretti, Jennifer Gargiulo, and Aaron Roffman

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on September 24, 2021
Finding aid written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

Open to qualified researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to twenty exposures of stable, unbound material per day. (Researchers may not accrue unused copy amounts from previous days.) This collection is owned by the New-York Historical Society. The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials. Unpublished materials created before January 1, 1978 cannot be quoted in publication without permission of the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation

This collection should be cited as the James Hazen Hyde Papers, MS 319, New-York Historical Society.

Related Materials

Over the course of the 1940s-1950s, Hyde made many donations to New-York Historical of manuscripts, photographs, prints, objects, and other material. These arrived in a piecemeal fashion and were separated to various departments and collections in the library and museum. Following are some of the Hyde donations related to this collection:

The following manuscripts were donated by Hyde and cataloged under separate call numbers:

* A small collection of six letters titled "James Hazen Hyde collection" (call AHMC - Hyde, James Hazen)

* George Henry Nettleton letter to James Hazen Hyde, 1947 March 24 (call AHMC - Nettleton, George Henry)

* Woodrow Wilson letter to James H. Hyde, 1903 March 16 (call AHMC - Wilson, Woodrow – Hyde)

* An exchange between Hyde and Charles Francis Adams in the Charles Francis Adams papers (call AHMC - Adams, Charles Francis (1835-1915))

N-YHS's institutional archive holds correspondence related to Hyde's various donations. See the New-York Historical Society General Correspondence record group (NYHS-RG 2) and search for Hyde.

The Department of Prints, Photographs and Architectural Collections holds the James H. Hyde collection of allegorical prints of the four continents (PR-27).

A search on James Hazen Hyde in N-YHS's catalog, Bobcat, will yield other print matter related to Hyde, including works authored by Hyde.

Some of the correspondence files in this collection refer to Hyde's efforts to create a "New Theatre" in New York. These happen to be outliers from a larger set of correspondence originally in Hyde's files. Among the many donations Hyde offered to N-YHS in the 1950s was his "dossier" concerning Winthrop Ames and the development of the New Theatre, which opened in 1909. N-YHS's director at the time suggested to Hyde that those papers be donated to the New York Public Library, which held extensive related material. These can be found at NYPL under the title James Hazen Hyde papers (call MssCol 1471).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

James Hazen Hyde made various donations in a piecemeal fashion to N-YHS over the course of the 1940s and 1950s. This collection includes most of the personal papers he donated. The various acquisition dates for the materials in Series III-VII are noted at the series level. All those materials were donated with Hyde's stipulation that they would not be made available until after his death, which occurred in 1959.

It is not clear when the correspondence in Series I and II was donated. At points in the 1940s and 1950s, Hyde informed N-YHS's director at the time that he was going through the correspondence to identify what he would donate (he was discarding "uninteresting and personal letters"), again with the stipulation that it would not be available until after his death. A list of notable correspondents is in the archive from 1959 so the correspondence was donated no later than then.