Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the New-York Historical Society General Correspondence
1805-2018 (bulk, 1805-1982)
 NYHS-RG 2

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Brynn White and Margaret Kaczorowski

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on June 29, 2018
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

Title: New-York Historical Society general correspondence
Dates [inclusive]: 1805-2018 (bulk, 1805-1982)
Abstract: The New-York Historical Society general correspondence record group contains chronologically arranged communications directed to and from the institution and its officers. The bulk of correspondence through the early twentieth century is incoming only, though some notes, responses, and letterpress copybooks (1876-1911) of outgoing correspondence appear. Carbon copies of outgoing correspondence commonly appear after the early twentieth century. The files are predominated by requests for reference assistance; research reports; inquiries pertaining to membership and library operations; proposals of materials for donation, sale, or transfer; arrangements for lectures, events, and publications; acceptances of election to member or officer positions; financial transactions; requests for material exchanges; and invitations, circulars, and other printed matter generated by N-YHS and outside institutions. Correspondents include N-YHS officers, prominent historians, politicians, writers and lecturers, scientists, genealogists, artists, printers and booksellers, and colleagues from libraries, societies, government agencies, and other organizations.
Quantity: 152.63 Linear Feet in 360 boxes and 7 oversize folders.
Language: The materials are in English.
Call Phrase: NYHS-RG 2
Sponsor: This record group was processed as part of the 2015-2016 N-YHS Institutional Archives project, made possible by a generous grant from the Leon Levy Foundation.