Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the New-York Historical Society General Correspondence
1805-2018 (bulk, 1805-1982)
 NYHS-RG 2

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Brynn White and Margaret Kaczorowski

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on June 29, 2018
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Container List

Series V. Topical Correspondence, 1917-1985. 2.29 Linear Feet in seven document boxes

Arrangement Note

The series is arranged by subject matter.

Scope and Contents Note

These materials bring together various general topics on issues that the N-YHS was involved with in the early 20th century, as well as matters that involved the institution directly.The bulk of materials consist of correspondence, however, there are also other formats such as index cards, photostats, newspaper clippings, and personal notes written by staff members.

Almanac Requests (6 folders): This collection consists of correspondence, lists, photostats, index cards, and two notepads that A.J.Wall (Assistant Librarian, N-YHS) received and created for his survey on almanacs published in New York between 1694 and 1850. As the collection consists of such varied formats, the collection contains four separate entries in the finding aid. The 3 x 5 index cards were sent to A.J. Wall from outside libraries and institutions, and these cards contain the bibliographical information of the almanac (title, year, page number) and printer information. Many cards contain extensive information about the almanacs (such as Leeds, Poor Roger, and Poor Thomas Improved), and descriptions of advertisements as they appeared in the almanac. Several cards contain abbreviations for all the institutions that provided information, and these abbreviations are listed on the lower portion of many cards received by the N-YHS. A folder labeled Miscellaneous contains materials such as notepads that Wall used to capture information and photostats of  Freeman's New-York Almanac for the Year of Our Lord 1767.

Castle Clinton Matter (6 folders): This collection consists of letters, newspaper clippings, radio addresses, and other materials that document the efforts of N-YHS to preserve the building known as the West Battery, Fort Clinton, Castle Clinton, Castle Garden, and, finally, the Aquarium following the aquarium's relocation in 1941. The majority of the collection consists of correspondence between N-YHS and other historical, city, and state organizations that supported the preservation of the building, and a movement was formed to block the Commissioner of Parks Robert Moses's plan to demolish Castle Clinton. One organization, The Fine Arts Federation of New York (FAFNY) sponsored a competition for designs of Battery Park in response to the plans proposed by Moses and the Parks Department. Correspondence between the N-YHS and FAFNY discuss this competition, and the potential for the N-YHS to preserve the designs for future use or interest. Included are a Program of Competition for the Selection of an Alternative Design for the Development of Battery Park and a folded plan entitled  Site Plan of Battery Park for the Purposes of This Competition [a second copy of this plan is available in the N-YHS main collection] in Folder 3.

The collection also includes two sets of index cards of alphabetical listings of names and addresses of those who sent in letters and were involved in protests for Saving the Aquarium; some index cards also include quotations in support of preservation and suggestions to the N-YHS in its quest to preserve the building. While Moses would determine the fate of the building upon completion of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, he did not feel the building was "worth restoring." There is extensive correspondence between the N-YHS and the Board of Estimate (a governmental body responsible for budget and land-use decisions), and includes the stenographic record of the proceedings before the Board of Estimate on October 11, 1945 with participation of Commissioner Moses, R.W.G. Vail , George A. Zabriskie, and George McAneny (President, American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society). Of interest is a June 26, 1941 radio address given by A.J. Wall (Director, N-YHS) to "Save the Aquarium Building," in which Wall condemns the proposed removal of the aquarium and subsequent destruction of the fort as concerning not only the city but the nation as a whole. Wall encouraged those listeners also opposed to the destruction to write to the N-YHS, and those letters are located in Folder 1. Other notable correspondents include Harold I. Ickes (Secretary of the Interior), Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, J.A. Krug (Secretary of the Interior), Mayor William O'Dwyer, Hugo E. Rogers (President, Borough of Manhattan) and R.W.G. Vail (Director, N-YHS).

Requests for "Famous Historical Personages & Scenes" (7 folders): The materials in this collection consist of chronologically arranged letters and index cards from various schools and teachers across the country requesting a series of 62 illustrations of "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes." Among the illustrations were distinguished Americans and relics contained in the N-YHS collection. The reproductions were sent free of charge to all schools (many of them rural) who requested them. In addition to teachers and educators, lawyers, engineers, and other disciplines requested the illustrations. Organizations such as the Young Men's Christian Association and Brooklyn Children's Museum in New York are also examples of institutions that requested these illustrations. Several letters in Folder 3 were kept together, as these were requests by students putting together scrapbooks of New York in their classes. Box 357 consists mainly of 3 x 5 index cards of requests sent between 1936 and 1939 from schools and teachers from around the country for the set of illustrations. N-YHS responded fairly quickly to these requests, however, at times there was a time lapse in responding due to a shortage of the materials available.

Thompson Property at East Hampton, Long Island (9 folders):

This collection consists primarily of correspondence and attendance records as well as other materials such as service estimates, expense statements, architectural drawings, and exhibition brochures. Early correspondence exchanged between A.J. Wall, (Director, N-YHS), realtors, The Bank of New York, and others discusses the closing on the property by the N-YHS, insurance (fire and war damage), and tax policies. There is extensive correspondence between the numerous caretakers and the next Director of the N-YHS, A.J.Vail, on the general maintenance of the property (landscaping, grounds), costs related to heating the building, salaries of employees hired to care for the property and collections, and other personnel related matters. Reports sent from Garrett H. Winter (Superintendent, N-YHS) informed the Director of any issues at the homestead either related to the property itself or with staff. There is also correspondence about donations made to the museum and letters exchanged with the East Hampton Star, a local paper to publicize the homestead and its exhibitions. Other correspondence discusses the setting up of the museum to welcome student groups, Girl Scouts, and organizations such as the East Hampton Women's Club. The museum's curator, Katherine Wellenkamp, and Donald A. Shelley (Curator of Paintings and Acting Museum Curator) exchanged several letters in regard to attendance records, and the tensions that arose between Wellenkamp and the caretakers Mr. and Mrs. Testa. Wellenkamp also promoted the museum in the community through publicity in the local paper, the  East Hampton Star and the  Annual Guide Book of the Long Island Association.. Several highlights include a brochure of the Thompson Homestead Memorial containing a brief history and summary of each exhibition room and several letters discussing the donation of three spoons dug up on the property from Native American graves when the house was being erected in Folders 6-7.

U.S.Treasury Department--Tax Exempt Material (9 folders)

The materials in this collection consist of correspondence between the N-YHS and the Internal Revenue Service's Treasury Department concerning tax-exempt status and the documentation to maintain that status over the course of several decades. Included are letters in regard to Section 214 (a) (10) of the Revenue Act of 1924, Section 231 (6) of the Revenue Act of 1926, Section 101 of the Revenue Act of 1936, and section 170(b)(1)(A) (vi) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Education and Public Relations Department (5 folders)

The materials in this collection consist of correspondence between George Sykes (Supervisor of Education and Public Relations, N-YHS) and later Richard Cunliffe (Supervisor of Education and Public Relations N-YHS) and various organizations throughout the country requesting films and materials produced by the Society for educational purposes (such as the twenty-eight minute film called "The Story of Minneapolis"). Also included are requests for permission to use N-YHS photographs, requests made by Sykes to outside organizations to purchase their films to be added to the Society's library, and letters from young students informing Sykes of their pleasant and informative visit to the museum. Also concerns Winter Concert series at the Society for 1965-1966.

Processing Information Note

The series was processed and described by Margaret Kaczorowski in 2016.

Biographical/Historical Note

This series consists of seven distinct topics that were discovered separately from the earlier correspondence records in Series I-IV. These materials bring together various general topics on issues that the N-YHS was involved with, such as Castle Clinton, as well as matters that involved the institution directly. These aforementioned materials include patron requests, tax information, and a satellite museum located in Long Island during the 1940s. The topics and their respective historical notes are listed as follows:

Almanac Requests (6 folders): In 1917, A.J. Wall (Assistant Librarian, N-YHS) began compiling a survey of almanacs published in New York covering the years 1694-1850 for his book,  A List of New York Almanacs, 1694-1850 published in 1921. In conducting his survey, Wall contacted many repositories across the city, state, and country, including universities (such as the University of Pennsylvania, Yale University Library, Rutgers College Library) and historical societies (American Antiquarian Society, Essex Institute, Historical Society of Pennsylvania). Wall was interested in the following information: titles, compilers' names, imprint, and paging of the almanac. Included in this series is a draft of the book that offers insight on the results of Wall's efforts located in Folder 9. In the draft's preface, Wall stated that a number of almanacs prior to 1800 did not survive, however this information was still included in the book. Wall also noted in the preface that almanacs "reflected the spirit of the times," and provided not only weather predictions but entertainment and scientific knowledge.

Castle Clinton Matter (6 folders): Fort Clinton was built in 1807 and designed by architect John McComb, who designed City Hall. The fort was built to pair with a similar fort on Governors Island in anticipation of the War of 1812. Named in honor of Mayor Dewitt Clinton, Castle Clinton chiefly served to keep the enemy out of New York's inner harbor during the war. In 1823, the castle was renamed Castle Garden. Between 1823 and its closing in 1941, the Castle served many functions as a center of the city's public and social life, first as a place of entertainment and then for the latter half of the 19th century as an immigration center that welcomed immigrants to America. Finally, from 1890-1941, the building housed the New York Aquarium that welcomed close to two million people annually.

Following the relocation of the Aquarium to Coney Island in 1941, Castle Clinton closed and its fate was left in question. While the structure was extensively altered and roofed over to a height of several stories, the original masonry fort remained. The building was subsequently threatened to be demolished by the Commissioner of Parks Robert Moses to make way for the construction of a Brooklyn-Battery Bridge and redesigning of Battery Park. Together with public sentiment and the support of many influential historical institutions and museums across the country, the N-YHS took on an active role in preventing the destruction of Castle Clinton. Staff members such as A.J. Wall (Director, 1937-1944), R.W.G. Vail (Director, 1944-1960), George A. Zabriskie (President, 1939-1947) took part in hearings, organized committees, and wrote articles to newspapers publicizing the issue. Due in large part to these efforts, the building was saved and designated a Historic Landmark in 1946. Castle Clinton was restored to its original design by the National Park Service and in 1975 the landmark reopened as Castle Clinton National Monument.

The N-YHS formed a committee consisting of various representatives of historical institutions (including the State Historical Association and the American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society (ASHPS) to consider the preservation of Castle Clinton and other historic buildings in New York. A movement to evoke public opinion to save the building was spearheaded by Robert Cameron Beadle, Publisher and Editor of the Manhattan Chronicle, in the formation of the "League to Save Fort Clinton," a volunteer membership organization designed to save the building from destruction. Many of the League's efforts were publicized through articles written in the Manhattan Chronicle, and led to signed petitions by the public. Construction of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel ceased during the years America engaged in World War II, and when construction resumed in 1945, the N-YHS once again took efforts to prevent the demolition of Castle Clinton. When the New York City Tunnel Authority altered the ventilating shafts from the site of the fort to the center of Battery Park, the N-YHS argued that this relocation removed the grounds for destroying the fort (a suggestion proposed in 1942). In light of this information, the N-YHS requested that the Board of Estimate withdraw any "permission it may have given to demolish Castle Clinton." In August 1946, Congress passed H.R.5125 authorizing the establishment of Castle Clinton as a National Monument.

Requests for "Famous Historical Personages & Scenes" (7 folders): Between the years 1928-1939, the N-YHS made available free of charge to schools and educators across the country (plus shipping expenses) a series entitled, "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes." This set of 62 illustrations was considered a valuable resource in the classroom and school library, particularly for rural schools, that engaged students in American history. Many schools subscribed to the National Educators Society and International Index File from the Executive's Guild, services which listed materials sent free to schools by various governmental agencies and business organizations. Other disciplines, such as lawyers and engineers, also requested these illustrations. These illustrations were often mounted in classrooms or used during class to illustrate historical lessons and talks on various subjects, and several schools made these sets available in their school libraries to be examined by both faculty and students. Many of the requests came from Oklahoma, as recommended by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. Teachers and schools were very appreciative of this gesture in thank you letters of appreciation for these illustrations that would assist in bringing to life the history of the United States and engaging students.

Thompson Property at East Hampton, Long Island (9 folders): In 1941, the N-YHS purchased property located on Ocean Avenue in East Hampton, Long Island, to create a satellite museum that would operate during the summer months. The property belonged to Charles G. Thompson who himself purchased the property in 1893 from the Satterthwaite Estate. Alterations were made on the property between 1803-1894 from plans furnished by McKim, Mead & White, Architects. The house was a two and a half story, semi-colonial dwelling containing 16 rooms and three baths, and the two acre property included a barn. The N-YHS named the house the Thompson Homestead Memorial, and opened it as an extension of the main institution dedicated to American history. A dedication ceremony was held on July 25, 1942, in which the Mayor Judson L. Banister, President of N-YHS George Zabriskie, and many N-YHS staff and friends of the society attended the dedication.

Over the course of its existence as a museum, there were several caretakers of the property and are listed in order of employment: Nelson Osborne, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Howe, Mr. and Mrs. John Weinman, and finally, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Testa. The caretakers took attendance, maintained the home, and kept A.J. Wall (Director, N-YHS) apprised on the condition of the estate, landscaping changes, weather activity, and personnel matters. A.J.Wall was also made aware of any issues at the property through reports sent by Garrett H. Winter (Superintendent, N-YHS). At this time, the N-YHS also hired Katherine S. Wellenkamp as Curator of the Thompson Homestead Memorial, and among her tasks was the submission of attendance records to Wall. Wellenkamp also promoted the museum in the community through publicity in the local paper, the East Hampton Star, and left postcards in area hotels for out-of-town visitors. In addition to out-of-town visitors, the museum welcomed students and organizations such as Girl Scouts, and served as a meeting place for the East Hampton Women's Club. When it was open, the museum would have several exhibitions on display with themes such as early New York and costumes and relics of American Indians. During fall and winter months, the N-YHS Museum Committee closed the homestead as it was challenging to secure coal during these months while the country was at war. Summer attendance remained low, and in 1946 the N-YHS decided to sell the property as it had become expensive to maintain. During the process of selling the homestead, several letters from various realtors informed the N-YHS that the asking price was steep, and therefore made the property difficult to sell at the original asking price near $40,000. The asking price was reduced to $25,000 and eventually sold in June 1946 to Ivan Barrington White, and household goods from the museum were sold to N-YHS staff members.

U.S.Treasury Department--Tax Exempt Material (9 folders): The N-YHS was recognized as an educational institution by the state in 1928 (established when the State Legislature passed Chapter 208 of the Laws of New York State for 1928), even though Federal laws already recognized the institution as educational and therefore tax-exempt. The N-YHS considered itself an educational institution for the following reasons: it was open free to the public; maintained a library; art gallery and museum; provided lectures for members and their friends; public and private schools brought its students to the library as part of the school curriculum; and that the library was used by students from all over the world. With this state law, bequests became tax-exempt, and this led to many years of generous donations. To achieve tax exempt status, or to determine "the deductibility of contributions to the N-YHS", the institution was required to submit its purpose, activities, and affidavit showing the character of the organization, financial statements showing the sources of its income and its disposition (among other requests) and attach the institution's charter or articles of incorporation and bylaws. Upon receipt of this information, a ruling would be made. The N-YHS maintained its tax-exempt status for many decades, and in the late 1960s filed a letter with the U.S. Treasury Department requesting a ruling that N-YHS qualified as a "publicly supported" organization under section 170(b)(1)(A) (vi) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Container 1 Container 2   Title Date
Box: 358 Folder : 1-6 Almanac Requests (6 folders)

Scope and Contents Note

In 1917, A.J. Wall (Assistant Librarian, N-YHS) began research to compile a list of almanacs covering the years 1694-1850 published in New York. In conducting his survey, Wall contacted many repositories across the city, state, and country asking them to check their collections to see if they held any almanacs published in New York. The bulk of these materials are from 1918, and consist of the research for a book that Wall ultimately published in 1921 entitled, A List of New York Almanacs, 1694-1850. Wall reached out to 75 libraries and private collections, and relied on the assistance of these librarians to supply data concerning their collections. Wall was interested in the following information: titles, names of compilers, imprint, and paging of the almanac. Included is a draft of the book dated 1920 in Folder 9 that offers insight on the results of Wall's efforts. In the draft's preface, Wall stated that a number of almanacs prior to 1800 did not survive; this information, however, was still included in the book. Wall noted in the preface that almanacs "reflected the spirit of the times," and provided not only weather predictions but entertainment and scientific knowledge.

1917-1920
Box: 358 Folder : 7 Almanac Requests. Miscellaneous

Scope and Contents Note

Consists of photostats of Freeman's New-York Almanac for the Year of Our Lord 1767, printed by John Holt; two pages describe the Stamp Act's affect on the Almanac in the 1700s; two notepads belonging to Wall contain his notes.

1917-1920
Box: 358 Folder : 8 Almanac requests. Draft of A List of New York Almanacs, 1694-1850

Scope and Contents Note

Contains a hand-written draft of A.J.Wall's book on almanacs, A List of New York Almanacs, 1694-1850; lists of various almanacs printed by Hugh Gaine; hand-written advertisements for almanacs listed in the   New York Gazette.

1917-1920
Box: 358 Folder : 9 Almanac Requests. Notes

Scope and Contents Note

These 3 x 5 index cards were sent in to A.J. Wall from outside libraries and other institutions. They contain the bibliographical information of the almanac (title, year, page number), bookseller and printer information. Many cards also contain extensive information about the almanacs (such as Leeds, Poor Roger, and Poor Thomas Improved), and descriptions of advertisements as they appeared in the almanac. Several cards contain abbreviations for all the institutions that provided information, and these abbreviations are listed on the lower portion of many cards sent in to the N-YHS.

1917-1920
Box: 354 Folder : 1-6 Castle Clinton Matter (6 folders)

Scope and Contents Note

Includes a short chronology of Castle Clinton; a June 26, 1941 radio address, "Save the Aquarium Building" given by A.J. Wall (Director, N-YHS); report of a N-YHS committee to consider the preservation of The Aquarium Building (Fort Clinton) in Battery Park that found that the building should be preserved and restored to its earliest state as a fort and serve as an important attraction; John McComb architectural plans of City Hall and other public buildings and residences acquired by the N-YHS directly from the McComb family; resolution from New York State Historical Association dated October 15, 1942 condemning the destruction of the site and recommendation to preserve and restore it as "an historic shrine"; 1942 map of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel created by the New York City Tunnel Authority; invitation for George Zabriskie (President, N-YHS) to serve on a jury to judge the Battery Park designs submitted in the Fine Arts Federation of New York (FAFNY) competition in August 1942; correspondence from George McAneny (President, American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society) addressed to Mayor LaGuardia of the Board of Estimate, and other city officials, in regard to the proposed plan for the Battery Park Reconstruction and the proposals affecting Castle Clinton; letters between A.J. Wall and McAneny with regard to Board of Estimate meetings and City Hall hearings on the fate of Castle Clinton; letters between Robert Cameron Beadle, Publisher, discussing articles published in the Manhattan Chronicle supporting the preservation of the Aquarium for its historic value; letter to Commissioner of Parks Robert Moses from A.J. Wall discussing restoring the facade of the fort to its original appearance to show the "original brick construction with its gun ports"; documents about the competition, held by the Fine Arts Federation of New York, for designs to preserve Battery Park; request from N-YHS to the Board of Estimate requesting that the Board remove its permission to demolish the fort; petition signed by staff members of many historical institutions; of note is the stenographic record of the proceedings before the Board of Estimate on October 11, 1945 on the matter of the fort that included Commissioner Moses, R.W.G. Vail (Director of N-YHS), George A. Zabriskie, and George McAneny in Folder 3; letter from Harold I. Ickes (Secretary of the Interior) to Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia requesting to delay the demolition of Castle Clinton; letters between J.A. Krug (Secretary of the Interior) and Mayor William O'Dwyer regarding the preservation of the fort; official document from the Department of the Interior informing Zabriskie (President, N-YHS) of the passing of H.R.5125 by Congress in August 1946 authorizing the establishment of Castle Clinton as a National Monument; letter from Department of Interior to Mayor O'Dwyer discussing the budget submitted to Congress for the initial preservation, operation, and maintenance of the monument; letters between Hugo E. Rogers (President, Borough of Manhattan) and Vail (Director, N-YHS) describing the additions made to the fort and the removal of walls to be stored nearby for restoration by others once the Battery Park Underpass was completed; announcement of and minutes recorded of the May 28, 1941 Meeting for the Preservation of Historic Sites and Buildings in the City of New York (Folder 4) that resolved to appoint a committee to seek the means to prevent the demolition of historic landmarks; petition by Alexander Hamilton (President, American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society) against Robert Moses (Commissioner of Parks) seeking to refrain Moses from demolishing the structure known as Fort Clinton without the formal approval of the Art Commission of New York; newspaper clippings from New York Herald Tribune, Sun, New York Times, and other papers with published letters of support and poems from the public, many of whose ancestors passed through the building as immigrants; of note (Folder 5) is a clipping from the World Telegram written by Eleanor Roosevelt giving her support for the preservation of the fort; Folder 6 consists of clippings of photos of Castle Clinton in the stages of its demolition, as well as an article about a prints and paintings exhibition showing Fort Clinton as "it was and could be" to garner support for its preservation; clippings on the winning designs of the Fine Arts Federation of New York; lawsuits brought forth to restrain Robert Moses from proceeding with demolition, in particular the feud between Moses and Pierce Trowbridge Wetter (Treasurer, Greenwich Village Historical Society); two sets of index cards of alphabetical listings of names and addresses of people involved in Saving the Aquarium.

1941-1947
Box: 356 Folder : 1-7 Requests for "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes" letters (7 folders)

Scope and Contents Note

Folders 1-6 consists of letters from teachers, students, and others requesting the illustrations provided free of charge by the N-YHS entitled "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes." Folder 7 contains correspondence written to the N-YHS from various individuals in regard to the value of a newspaper published in Kingston , NY on January 4, 1800 of the "Ulster Gazette" (Num. 88 Vol. II) that contains an account of the death of Washington. Box 357 contains several hundred index cards requesting "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes" from schools across the country.

1928-1939
Box: 357 Cards : - Requests for "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes" postcards

Scope and Contents Note

These postcards were submitted to the N-YHS from various schools and organizations requesting to be sent the illustrations from "Reproductions of Famous Historical Personages & Scenes."

1928-1939
Box: 355 Folder : 1-9 Thompson Property at East Hampton, Long Island

Scope and Contents Note

Materials include the title to the Thompson East Hampton property; Bank of New York documentation of closing and deed on property; real estate transactions between J. Edward Gay Jr., and the Weekes Brothers; policy of insurance from the Title Guarantee and Trust Company and other insurance documentation; extensive correspondence between the Village of East Hampton and N-YHS exempting N-YHS from tax payments on property; correspondence related to the maintenance of the property; correspondence between various realtors and Arthur Sutherland, Esq. in regard to setting the asking price the property in 1946; final sale of property contract to Ivan Barrington White; photo reproduction created by Garrett H. Winter (Superintendent, N-YHS) showing detailed second and third floor plans of house; photo reproduction of map of property showing area and scale of property as surveyed by Theodore F. Squires (Licensed Land Surveyor); Statement of Apportionments; letter from Nelson C. Osborne (Insurance and Real Estate Notary Public) recommending three principal local real estate brokers as: J. Edward Gay Jr., Edward T. Dayton, and James M. Strong; correspondence between Columbia University and N-YHS discussing the wish of Sarah D. Gardiner (niece of Charles, Elizabeth and Mary Thompson) to acquire several books, an etching, and flowers; various insurance policies including fire and war damage; correspondence between Frank Howe to A.J.Wall (Director, N-YHS) with regard to house maintenance (plumbing, heating), visitors to the estate (students, Girl Scout Troops, Mother's Club), donations, and other matters; responses to invitation to attend the dedication of the Thompson Homestead Memorial on July 25, 1942; estimates for plumbing and re-roofing of the estate; letter confirming Frank Howe and his wife as caretakers of the East Hampton homestead at $90 per month; bills for gas and laundry; correspondence with Long Island Lighting Company in regard to proposed extension of gas facilities on the property; information on the estate and Mr. Charles G. Thompson received from J. Custis Lawrence; correspondence between A.J.Wall (Director, N-YHS) and Nelson C. Osborne (Realtor); correspondence with regard to house maintenance, hours of operation, weather reports, salary checks received, and visitors; reports on the Thompson house sent to A.J. Wall from Mr. H. Winter; letter informing staff of closing the house during the winter months; 1944 announcement published in East Hampton Star of exhibitions at the Thompson Homestead; several letters exchanged between Katherine Wellenkamp (Curator) and Donald A. Shelley (Curator of Paintings and Acting Museum Curator) and other staff on her experience at the homestead and attendance records, as well as an invitation to the Society's Strawberry Festival; letters exchanged between Shelley and Wellenkamp of the tensions between her and the caretakers (Mr. and Mrs. Testa); letter to Zabriskie from Testa in regard to the tensions between the caretakers and Wellenkamp; several letters exchanged between Jeannette Edwards Rattray (East Hampton Star) and N-YHS staff in regard to advertising the museum; exhibition brochure sent to the East Hampton Star for publication; lecture given by Susan E. Lyman, "Shopping in Old New York"; several letters between E.H.Braem (Mothers' Club) and N-YHS in regard to a lecture on New York people from 1626-1943; request for N-YHS to take part in a parade along with the Ladies Village Improvement Society of East Hampton; requests for permission for Wellenkamp's sister to stay with her at the home for a few weeks during the summer; visit from two Satterthwaite sisters who had spent their childhood in the original house built in 1873 by their father who sold the estate to the Thompson family and their donation of three spoons dug up on the property from Native American graves when the house was being erected; letter from the F.A. Bartlett Tree Expert Company in regard to the condition of trees on the property; letters to Wellenkamp and Testa (caretaker) informing them that the N-YHS Board of Trustees voted to permanently close the Thompson Homestead Memorial in May 1946; letters to lighting and coal companies to discontinue service as property was sold; brochure of the Thompson Homestead Memorial containing a brief history and summary of each exhibition room; 1943 brochure of exhibition:   Things Military Through the Years (1750-1898); list of household goods from Thompson Homestead sold to N-YHS staff members upon closing of museum; hand written records of attendance for the Thompson Homestead taken between the dedication opening on July 25, 1942 and October 8, 1945.

1941-1946
Box: 359 Folder : 1 U.S.Treasury Department-Tax Exempt Material

Scope and Contents Note

Includes application for tax-exempt status; several letters appear to be annual rulings by the Treasury Department for tax-exempt status of the N-YHS; letter dated June 22, 1926 from the office of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue in regard to taxable status under the provisions of Section 231 (6) of the Revenue Act of 1926; ruling relative to the deductibility on the income tax return for 1924 filed by Samuel V. Hoffman of contributions made to the N-YHS; letters dated August 22, 1967 from U.S. Treasury Department discussing contributions made to the N-YHS by individual donors; requests for N-YHS to submit to Treasury Department documents such as affidavits as to its purpose, activities, the character of the organization, and financial statements showing the sources of its income, along with the institution's charter or articles of incorporation and by-laws; copy of Revenue Ruling 67-246 I.R.B. 1967-32,4 (allowance of deductions); supporting documents submitted by N-YHS to obtain a ruling that the Society was "publicly supported; letter dated December 24, 1985 that shows that the Date of Exemption Letter was created April 1938 (exemption in April 1938 pursuant to 1954 Code section 501(c) (3) or its predecessor Code Section).

1926-1985
Box: 359 Folder : 2-7 Miscellaneous Matter (6 folders)

Scope and Contents Note

Includes a few miscellaneous notes, clippings, lists, object photographs, photo reproductions of the "rag-man" and other solicitation advertisements; print matter; business and calling cards; and personal correspondence.

circa 1868-1937, undated
Box: 360 Folder : 1-5 Education and Public Relations
1958-1965

Return to Top »