Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the New-York Historical Society Collection of Stereographs
1850-1964 (Bulk 1860-1900)
 PR 65

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400

New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Janet Murray (2000); revised and migrated to ArchivesSpace by Marybeth Kavanagh (2020)

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on July 22, 2020
Description is in English.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Open to qualified researchers, by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment, contact the Print Room Librarian at

Use Restrictions

Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to 20 exposures of stable, unbound material per day. Application to use images from this collection for publication should be made in writing to: Department of Rights and Reproductions, The New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024-5194, Phone: (212) 873-3400 ext. 282.

Copyrights and other proprietary rights may subsist in individuals and entities other than the New-York Historical Society, in which case the patron is responsible for securing permission from those parties. For fuller information about rights and reproductions from N-YHS visit:

Preferred Citation

The collection should be cited as: New-York Historical Society Stereograph Collection, PR-65, Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections, New-York Historical Society.

Related Material at The New-York Historical Society

Civil War stereographs from this collection have been digitized and are available online via New York Heritage.

The Transparency file includes stereoscopic views, including glass and film views. There are some stereoscopic lantern slides, as well as a large number of Stereo Realist format slides. The Cased Photograph File includes stereographic daguerreotypes.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The majority of material in the Stereograph Collection is from the collection of George T. Bagoe, and was donated by Mrs. Elihu Spicer in 1960-1961. Another series was taken by Alfred C. Loonam in the 1950s and 1960s, and donated by his wife. Others were purchased, or transferred from other institutions. There are over 300 accession dates and numerous sources recorded.