Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Records of The Weiss & Klau Co.
1892-1988 (Bulk 1922-1968)
  MS 687

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Gabrielle Sanchez

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on February 24, 2021
Description is in English.

Historical Note

Missing Title
1887 Ignatz Weiss, Nathan Klau and Samuel Klau found the firm Weiss & Klau Brothers, for the purpose of selling and distributing table oil cloth and window shades.
1892 Weiss & Klau Brothers moves to 203 Canal Street.
1895 Samuel Klau dies.
1896 Company changes its name to Weiss & Klau.
1897 Company expands to 205, 207, 209, and 211 Canal Street.
1898 Company changes name to The Weiss & Klau Co. and is incorporated in New York State.
1911 The Weiss & Klau Co. moves to 462-468 Broadway. David Klau, son of Nathan Klau, joins company as office boy.
1922 The Weiss & Klau Co. purchases Napaul Corporation.
1937 The Weiss & Klau Co. buys bonds of Standard Textile Products, Inc., their main supplier of oil cloth and other products, in order to allow the purchase of Standard Textile by Interchemical Corporation. Fiftieth anniversary of founding of Weiss & Klau; Golden Jubilee celebrated.
1938 Nathan Klau dies; David Klau becomes president of company.
1946 Quarter-Century Club created. The club consisted of employees who had worked for Weiss & Klau for twenty-five years or more.
1953 The Weiss & Klau Co. purchases Standard Coated Products, Inc., (formerly Standard Textile Products, Inc.) manufacturer of textiles and Weiss & Klau's chief supplier.
1961 David Klau dies. Ira Oppenheimer (grandson of Nathan Klau and nephew of David Klau) becomes President.
1962 Seventy-fifth anniversary of founding of company; Diamond Jubilee celebrated.
1966 On January 27, part of the fifth floor of building at 462 Broadway collapses. Several employees are injured. In February, the plastic stock window shade business is sold to Breneman, Inc. In March, the plastic film and tile business is sold to Clopay Corporation.
1968 Standard Coated Products, Inc. is sold to American Cyanamid. The Weiss & Klau Co. changes name to K Liquidating Company and ceases operation.