Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive logo

Guide to the United Automobile Workers of America, District 65 Negatives PHOTOS.023

Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY, 10012
(212) 998-2630
tamiment.wagner@nyu.edu


Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive

Collection processed by Erika Gottfried, Mary Allison Farley, Katie Kirwan, Miriam Frank, Penny Kalloo, Tim Donohue, Tylea Richard, Krista Hahn, Sarah Demott, 1979-1985; 1989-1991; 2008-2011. Revised by Erika Gottfried to reflect addition of materials, May 2014.

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on January 23, 2015
Description is in English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

 Edited by Heather Mulliner to reflect updated administrative information  , Sep 2014

Historical/Biographical Note

District Council 65, United Automobile Workers (UAW) was organized in 1933 by a group of Jewish workers employed in dry goods warehouses on New York's Lower East Side. In 1935 it became a local of the Wholesale Dry Goods Employees Union; subsequently, it affiliated with the Distributive Trades Council of New York and the Retail Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU); it joined with the UAW in 1979. The union went out of existence in 1994, when bankruptcy forced it to close.

Between 1937 and 1942, District 65 was at the center of a group of left-wing locals in New York City that organized large numbers of warehouse and retail workers; it later expanded its organizing to include white-collar workers in publishing and universities. Politically and socially active in areas beyond its own immediate concerns, District 65 was an early participant in the civil rights movement, as well as one of the first labor unions to publicly oppose the war in Vietnam. It took a progressive stance within its own organization also, with rank and file members playing an active role in their union.