Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page
Guide to the Jefferson School of Social Science (New York, N.Y.) Records and Indexes
||Jefferson School of Social Science (New York, N.Y.).
||Jefferson School of Social Science Records and Indexes
||The Jefferson School of Social Science (1943-1956) was a Marxist adult education institute
in New York City associated with the Communist Party, USA. Among the faculty were
a number of leftist academics dismissed from the City University of New York, including
the school's director, Howard Selsam. It had as many as 5000 students enrolled per
term, but the Subversive Activities Control Board forced its closing in 1956. The
school published course-related pamphlets and its Librarian, Henry Black, accumulated
a 30,000 volume library. The collection consists of Jefferson School materials, course
outlines and related readings, bibliographies, pamphlets published by the school,
unpublished typescripts, and material from the Workers School and from the Communist
Party. It also includes the original indexes to the Jefferson School Library's periodical
and pamphlet holdings.
||8.0 linear feet (3 boxes and 11 card trays)
||Card trays are located in the card catalog outside the conference room.