Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page
Guide to the Rand School of Social Science Records
||Rand School of Social Science.
||Rand School of Social Science Records
||The Rand School of Social Science (1906-1956), a school for workers and socialists
which was associated with the Socialist Party, and after 1936 with the Social Democratic
Federation, offered a variety of courses on contemporary topics, traditional subjects
and socialist theory taught by intellectual leaders of the socialist movement, distinguished
academicians and trade union leaders. In 1917 the Rand School purchased a six story
building at 7 East 15th Street, that had an auditorium, a library, classrooms, and
office space which was utilized by several socialist organizations. In a climate of
anti-radical feeling after World War I, the Rand School came under attack by the Lusk
Committee, created to investigate radical activities in New York. After a series of
court cases the Rand School retained control of its operations, and programs and enrollment
increased. Shortly after World War II, courses and enrollement decreased sharply.
In January 1956 the Board of Directors of the American Socialist Society closed the
Rand School and transferred the title of the school and its building to the People's
Educational Camp Society, the governing body of Camp Tamiment, a successful workers
resort which had long provided the majority of the School's budget. The collection
contains correspondence, mostly of the chief executives of the school; minutes of
the school's Educational Council; student term papers; internal memoranda on reorganization
plans for the school; material relating to the school's publications, including Institute
of Social Science Bulletin (1951-1955), including correspondence and manuscripts from
contributors; course records; reports, monographs on topical issues, and transcripts
of lectures and debates; the records of the school's Labor Research Department, which
published American Labor Year Book from 1916-1932; records of American Labor Archive
and Research Insititute, founded in 1941 to preserve documents of the European and
American labor movement; and financial and bookstore records.
||41.0 linear feet in 81 boxes.
|Language of Materials note:
||Materials are in English