Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

Brooklyn Historical Society logo

Guide to the Pfizer Inc. collection ARC.084

128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201
718-222-4111
library@brooklynhistory.org


Brooklyn Historical Society

Collection processed by Nicholas Pavlik

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on May 01, 2012
English. using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

 
Creator: Brooklyn Historical Society (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
Creator: Pfizer Inc.
Title: Pfizer Inc. collection
Dates [inclusive]: circa 1849-1992, 2007-2008
Abstract: Pfizer Inc. was founded in 1849 by German immigrants and cousins Charles Pfizer and Charles Erhart under the name Charles Pfizer & Company. The company's original headquarters were in a red-brick building in the Town of Williamsburgh, now the neighborhood of Williamsburg in the borough of Brooklyn. By 1899 Pfizer was an established leader in the American chemical industry, and by the end of the 20th century it was a worldwide leader in the pharmaceutical industry. Pfizer has also served as one of the major employers of the Brooklyn labor force, and when the area surrounding its plant fell into a period of decline in the 1970s and 1980s, the company formed a public-private partnership with the city that resulted in increased jobs, housing, and education. The Pfizer Inc. collection contains materials pertaining to Pfizer's roles as a global leader in the pharmaceutical industry and a local employer in the Brooklyn community, as well as the closing of the company's Brooklyn plant in 2009. Materials include reports and publications, photographs, and oral history transcripts and recordings.
Quantity: 1.25 Linear feet in four folders, one record carton, and 24 MP3 audio files.
Mixed materials [Carton]: ARC.084 1 of 1
Mixed materials [Box]: ARC.084 1 of 1
Call Phrase: ARC.084
Sponsor: This collection was processed and described as part of the project, "Uncovering the Secrets of Brooklyn's 19th Century Past: Creation to Consolidation," funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources, with additional support from The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.