© 2011 New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Lower East Side Photograph Collection
1901
 PR 251

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


© 2011 New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Kelly McAnnaney

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on December 13, 2011
Description is in English.

Descriptive Summary

 
Title: Lower East Side Photograph Collection
Dates: 1901
Abstract: Photographs show the neighborhood surrounding Delancey Street in New York City; the buildings and streets shown, many serving a Jewish immigrant population, were subsequently demolished during the construction of the Williamsburg Bridge.
Quantity: 4.02 Linear feet (3 boxes)
Location note: Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections
Call Phrase: PR 251

Return to Top »


Historical Note

When New York City's Williamsburg Bridge, originally called the East River Bridge, was designed, a plaza was provided at each end. It was decided that a clear space, at least 32 feet wide, was needed on each side of the bridge to protect the structure from fire, as well as to prevent accident to adjoining buildings. This design required the city to clear all existing properties from an area measuring 150 feet, along the south side of Delancey Street, from the East River, west to Clinton Street.

Construction of the bridge began on November 7, 1896. The following year, the East River Bridge Commission began to purchase the needed properties from their owners. However, after some legal issues, the commission was forced to acquire the majority of land through condemnation. An estimated 10,000 people in the Lower East Side neighborhood were displaced by the project.

Return to Top »


Scope and Content Note

The Lower East Side Photograph Collection spans the period from March to June 1901 and contains sixty-three silver gelatin photographs of buildings, on and around Delancey Street, before they were demolished to build the Williamsburg Bridge. The photographs show the markets, shops, saloons, and other businesses in the area, signs for many of these are in Hebrew. The images also capture the residents of the neighborhood, including several children, on the street and peering from windows. This neighborhood survey provides a unique view of life in this predominately Jewish neighborhood.

N. L. Coe, a photographer with a studio located at 681 Broadway, took all but two photographs in the collection. The remaining two images are marked "A. J. Drummond." They are all mounted on board and hand labeled, with the addresses written on the board, and sometimes directly on the image itself. While they may have been commissioned by the city, or made for personal use, it is not known why these photographs were taken.

Arrangement

Photographs are first alphabetized by street and then arranged by address.

Return to Top »


Access Points

Subject Names

  • Coe, N.L. -- photographer

Document Type

  • Gelatin silver prints

Subject Topics

  • Jews -- New York (State) -- New York
  • Poor -- New York (State) -- New York -- Pictorial works
  • Streets -- New York (State) -- New York
  • Tenement houses -- New York (State) -- New York
  • Working classes -- Dwellings

Subject Places

  • Lower East Side (New York, N.Y.) -- Pictorial works
  • New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works
  • New York (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Provenance

Gift of John W. Judge, May 11, 1905.

Access Restrictions

Open to qualified researchers.

Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to twenty exposures of stable, unbound material per day. See guidelines in Print Room for details.

Use Restrictions

Permission to reproduce any Print Room holdings through publication must be obtained from:
Rights and Reproductions
The New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400 ext. 270
Fax: (212) 579-8794

Preferred Citation

This collection should be cited as Lower East Side Photograph Collection, PR 251, Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections, The New-York Historical Society.

Related Material at the Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections

Other images of Delancey Street can be found in the Geographic File (PR 020) and the Subway Construction Photograph Collection (PR 069).

Return to Top »


Container List


Scope and Contents note

Photographs are first alphabetized by street and then arranged by address.

Container 1 Container 2   Title Date
Box: 1 Folder : 1 Attorney Street, 63-71 & 64-68
1901 Mar
Box: 1 Folder : 2 Cannon Street, 35-43 & 44-46
1901 Mar
Box: 1 Folder : 3 Clinton Street, 112-118
1901 Mar
Box: 1 Folder : 4 Columbia Street, 36-46 & 35-43
1901 Mar
Box: 1 Folder : 5 Delancey Street, 169-199
1901 Mar
Box: 1 Folder : 6 Delancey Street, 201-209
[1901]
Box: 2 Folder : 7 Delancey Street, 219-223
1901 Mar
Box: 2 Folder : 8 Delancey Street, 233-239 & 241-243
1901 Mar
Box: 2 Folder : 9 Delancey Street, 251-259, 269-281 & 293-299
1901 Mar-Apr
Box: 2 Folder : 10 Delancey Street, 305-323
1901 Mar
Box: 2 Folder : 11 Goerck Street, 36-38 & 37-49
1901 Mar-Jun
Box: 2 Folder : 12 Lewis Street, 35-39 & 36-38
1901 Mar-Jun
Box: 2 Folder : 13 Lewis Street, 41 & 38-42
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 14 Mangin Street, 30 & 35-41
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 15 Pitt Street, 31-41 & 38-44
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 16 Ridge Street, 55-63 & 56-64
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 17 Sheriff Street, 35-39 & 38-44
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 18 Tompkins Street, 21
1901 Mar
Box: 3 Folder : 19 Willett Street, 34-38 & 35-43
1901 Mar

Return to Top »


Return to Top »