Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the John McComb Architectural Drawings Collection
1766-1829
 PR 40

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Jenny Gotwals and Susan Kriete

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on October 18, 2018
Finding aid written in English.

Administrative Information

Access to Collection

Collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.

Access Restrictions

Available by advance appointment only. To schedule an appointment, contact the Print Room Librarian at printroom@nyhistory.org. Photocopying undertaken by staff only. Limited to twenty exposures of stable, unbound material per day. (Researchers may not accrue unused copy amounts from previous days.)

Use Restrictions

Application to use images from this collection for publication should be made in writing to:

Department of Rights and Reproductions
The New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024-5194
rightsandrepro@nyhistory.org
212-485-9228

Preferred Citation Note

This collection should be cited as: John McComb Architectural Drawings Collection, PR 40, Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections, The New-York Historical Society.

Related Archival Materials Note

Certificates of John McComb and Mrs. McComb (the second) are in the Certificate File (PR 014.) Photographs of the three lighthouses can be seen in the Lighthouse Photograph and Print Collection (PR 038.) A photograph of the Coles Residence (now demolished) can be found in the Tiemann Collection (PR 129). The Manuscript Department at the New-York Historical Society holds the McComb family papers, including account books, correspondence, and other material. Several maps drawn by John McComb are held by the New-York Historical Society Library. The New-York Historical Society Museum holds John McComb's drawing board and other artifacts including Mary McComb's painting of the Montauk Point lighthouse.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The majority of the collection was given by Daniel Parish, Jr. in 1898, 1905, and 1909. The remaining drawings were given by McComb's descendents: Edmund S. Wilde, 1902; Mrs. Helen A. Collingwood, 1930; and Miss Abbie Collingwood Miller, 1949. A few drawings were purchased by the Society in 1923.