Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the McKim Mead and White Architectural Records
circa 1875-1950
 PR 42

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by N-YHS staff

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on August 09, 2021
The finding aid is written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Biographical / Historical

Charles McKim (1847–1909), William Rutherford Mead (1846–1928), and Stanford White (1853–1906) established their partnership in New York City in 1879 and soon became the premier architectural firm in the United States. Between 1879 and 1912, the firm received nearly 1000 commissions, designing a wide array of residential, institutional, commercial, and public buildings in New York and other cities. Influenced by their extensive travels (and training) in Europe, the firm designed primarily in the Beaux Arts style, becoming the leading proponents of a return to classicism as an expression of American architectural character. The firm's work at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, featuring the "White City," also helped to launch the "City Beautiful" movement.

Among the firm's many notable buildings are Pennsylvania Station (1910, razed 1963), the Morgan Library and Museum (1903, expanded 1928), the Brooklyn Museum (1895), and the Municipal Building (1909-1915).

While associated primarily with the Gilded Age, the firm continued for more than three decades after the death of the last founding partner (Mead) in 1928, and trained many significant 20th century architects, including John Carrere and Thomas Hastings.