Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Peter Brandt Photographs of the TWA Flight Center
2004-2005
 PR 304

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Susan Kriete and Larry Weimer

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on October 20, 2021
Finding aid is written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Biographical / Historical

Peter Brandt is a German-born photographer who arrived in New York City in 1982 to work in commercial fashion and advertising photography. He retired in 2008 to focus on his own projects. In 2004, he was commissioned to document the Eero Saarinen-designed TWA terminal at John F. Kennedy airport.

Designed in 1956 by Finnish American architect Eero Saarinen, the TWA Flight Center was completed in 1962 -- a year after the architect's death. It operated until 2001, when TWA was purchased by American Airlines. Both the interiors and exteriors of the Saarinen terminal were designated a historic landmark by New York City in 1994, and in 2005 the National Park Service listed the Trans World Flight Center on the National Register of Historic Places.

In December, 2005, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey began constructing a new terminal facility for JetBlue Airlines behind and partially encircling Saarinen's original building. Peripheral portions of the original facility were demolished to make space for a mostly-new terminal designed by Gensler. JetBlue's new terminal (T5) opened in 2008.

Peter Brandt's photographs provide a visual record of the original Saarinen terminal as it appeared before renovations began in 2005.