Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Park West Camera Club Records
1946-2017
 PR 368

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Ariana Heinsdorf and Larry Weimer

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on November 30, 2018
Finding aid written in English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Biographical / Historical

The Park West Camera Club was founded in 1937. Originally called the Hypo Hounds, the club began as an educational offering of the 63rd Street branch of the YMCA in New York City. The group changed its name to Park West Camera Club in 1952. It remained affiliated with the YMCA for several decades, until the 1990s or early 2000s. At the YMCA the group had a basement meeting space with equipment for developing photographs. This space was also used to house the organization's records and select member photography. In the 1990s, the basement space flooded, destroying many records and photographs, and damaging others. The incident spurred the creation of an Archives Committee led by Myrna Harrison-Changar, which eventually drew on the salvaged material to mount the exhibition Eight Decades of Photography in 2017 in celebration of PWCC's 80th anniversary. The exhibition was held at the Soho Gallery in Tribeca, where PWCC had taken up residence after it spun off from its YMCA affiliation. As of 2018, PWCC still meets weekly at the Gallery.

(The above note was based on information from the collection and from PWCC's website.)