Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the
Gramercy Neighborhood Associates Records
1828–2009 (bulk, 1912–2009)
 PR 370

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 873-3400


New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Zora Arum and Joseph Ditta

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on January 28, 2021
English using Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Gramercy Neighborhood Associates
Title: Gramercy Neighborhood Associates records
Dates [inclusive]: 1828–2009 (bulk, 1912–2009)
Abstract: Organizational records, subject files, photographs, stereoviews, postcards, books, pamphlets, periodicals, and maps documenting the activities of the Gramercy Neighborhood Associates, Inc., a group formed in 1912 (as the Gramercy Park Association) to stop the extension of Lexington Avenue through Gramercy Park, a private greenspace laid out in 1831. That battle won, the association subsequently engaged in a variety of community service and preservation projects, such as sponsoring the annual Gramercy Park Flower Show (1947–1994), and replacing the neighborhood's modern street lampposts with historic reproductions.
Quantity: 5.5 Linear feet in 10 boxes, plus 2 oversize folders.
Language: The documents in the collection are in English.
Call Phrase: PR 370