Print / View Finding Aid as Single Page

© 2011 New-York Historical Society logo

Guide to the Papers of William Halsey Wood
circa 1865-1982
  MS 141

New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
Phone: (212) 873-3400


© 2011 New-York Historical Society

Collection processed by Luis Rodriguez

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on March 11, 2014
Description is in English.

Biographical/Historical note

William Halsey Wood (1855-1897) was born on April 24, 1855 in Danville, NY to Daniel Halsey Wood and Hannah Bell Lippincott. The family moved to Newark, NJ, where Halsey Wood was educated at the Episcopal House of Prayer parish school. In 1870 he began an apprenticeship with the architect John F. Miller in Newark. After leaving the unsuccessful firm Taylor, Roberts and Wood, he opened his own office in 1879. The same year, he completed the William Clark House, which was followed by a number of other notable domestic projects, including his own home, “Winmarleigh”.

His ecclesiastical designs, meanwhile, reached a height in 1888, when he entered his drawings for “Jerusalem, the Golden” into the design competition for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City. While his design was not ultimately accepted, he continued to work on a number of other prominent religious buildings, primarily Episcopal churches in New Jersey and New York. Like other noteworthy architects of the period, he tended to embrace a version of eclecticism that combined historic European styles with modern American sensibilities.

In 1889 he married Florence Hemsley in Tannersville, NY. They had three children. Halsey Wood died in 1897 in Philadelphia, PA at age 41.